Sunday, June 26, 2016

"You know I'm always on the night shift, and I can't stand these nights alone"

Woof, its been awhile since I have sat behind my computer to blog. Where do I start? As some of you may have heard from my consistent complaining, this past week was my 3rd week on graveyard shift. And let me tell you, I can't hang as well as I did in college.

The night shift is very interesting. First of all you feel like you are at work twice as much. You are there in the morning and then again at night. You go to work when the sun sets and you try to leave work when the sun rises but you are there until about 10am. You tend to lose track of the days because everything blends together, and you also want to be a person on the weekends. So you power through Saturday with a little bit of sleep so you can have friends. I am alone on nights which makes it kind of hard also, when I come back from my shift my entire staff is ready to start their day together.This can make one feel isolated or forgotten.

But the night shift makes you think, I mean what else are you going to do when all of your friends and family are sleeping while you are demolishing a concrete floor.

Lately I feel all over the place. It could very well be the fact that getting used to this sleep schedule has been a huge adjustment. But also the night shift helps you find out who your real friends are. The people that still invite you to things even though you could be sleeping or might only be able to stop by. The people that know I am available on Saturdays and Sundays and make an effort to make plans. Thank you to those friends. The friends that realize my schedule isn't great but its manageable.

It is hard enough moving to a city that you know no one. Then being put on a shift that you operate at completely different times then everyone around you. So I have to make my weekends count! I can't thank the friends I have met here enough for continuously making an effort to get me to attend things even though I have "designer" bags under my eyes.

Although I complain about the night shift I really do enjoy running my own work and trades. I get to supervise a project and see it come to life. What more could a girl ask for, as I'm covered in concrete slurry and for some reason always manage to get some kind of black shit on my face.

I love construction.

Here's to thanking those friends that look out for you when you don't ask for help. But they know its important to check in on you and make sure you are okay. Also a huge shout out to my bed, we have become huge friends these past 3 weeks.

Now if you don't mind, its Sunday so I'm going to the beach!

Anybody with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment